Project Description: For this project, we played around with mesh mixer to create a 3D, dynamic, asymmetrical piece. We were given a lot of creative freedom with this piece seeing that the only requirements were that the piece should be 5 inches high, asymmetrical, sitting on a flat surface, and dynamic.
Lateral Thinking: I had never worked with Meshmixer previous to this project, so this piece was a bit of a challenge to create. After watching the videos that were provided to us, I had a better understanding of how to use the application. For this project, we had a lot of creative freedom with little restrictions. This piece is called Alphabet Soup. When you look into your bowl of Alphabet soup, I believe that the words you see in your soup, are words that you want to see. I think this is a reflection of most things we look at life, especially when it comes to art. We had reviewed this concept in class, analyzing whether an artist’s intention with his or her piece supersedes how the audience perceives the art. When one looks at a bowl of alphabet soup or a masterpiece on a wall, they will always consider their own thoughts and perspective and make their judgment of the meaning based on their own personal perceptions.
3D Printers lay down heated plastic in layers to create three-dimensional objects. With this technology, I could create my piece and turn in my final product. 3D models are created through the Plymouth State Print Depot using “CAD software.”
For this project, we were assigned to learn about the process of making a 3D project. We wanted to combine a variation of simple shapes by following the directions and videos mentioned in class. The shapes were meant to be dynamic and interesting.
This project changed a lot, therefore I had to be creative. I actually went through the 3D options and looked at creepy “dream fuel” photos and Pokemon. I am not sure how I came to the conclusion that I wanted to combine them, but here we are.
Magmar SlugmaGrimer MukThe Thing
I did not want to make a sketch of the mesh maker assignment because I wanted the complete experiences of doing the project, also, it was originally going to be just our heads with addition, so after the first change to the rubric, I wanted what would organically happen, to happen. I also did not do a Maquette of the project as it was a digital item as well as something that would be way too expensive to reproduce said item.
The final result was stunningly close to what I wanted my project to be. I followed all the how to material as close as possible to this project. After following the directions to the T, I had little to know error except a foundation situation that was fixed by cropping. What I made from the computer came directly out of my brain and I could not be happier with the results. I used mostly the add, cut, and sculpt tool all located on the side of the screen. When I was on my laptop I used the cube to move the camera around while working on the image. However, it proved to difficult for my laptop and I ended up moving on to the stronger computers in the library to finish exporting and editing the images.